USB External Hard Disk Problem

Peripherals and accessories

USB External Hard Disk Problem

New postby kay-g » 16 Aug 2009 16:11

I just recently buy a NoTouch Basix NT2500 320GB 2.5" USB 2.0 external hard drive.
The problem is the hard drive did not appear in My Computer when I connect it to my desktop PC although there is a popup message showing that the drive is installed and ready to use when I first connect the hard drive.
This problem applies in both WinXP and WinVista as I have both XP & Vista on the same PC. However, the hard drive works perfectly in my friend's laptop(Vista installed).

When I open the Device Manager in Vista, the disk appears as "VisualDisk USB Device" under 'Disk Drives' section and "USB Mass Storage Device" under 'Universal Serial Bus controllers' section with no error icons. How come it does not appear in My Computer?
When I open the Disk Management, it appears that the disk is labelled 'unknown' and its status is 'Not Initialized'. When I try to initialize the disk, i got an error message:"The device is not ready". The drive is also not assigned any letter to it and does not appear in the list of volumes in the upper section of Disk Management.

Please help me solve this problem...

Computer specifications:
Intel Pentium D 945 3.4GHz
Asrock 7775VM800 Mainboard
1.5GB DDR RAM
Sapphire HD2600XT AGP8X Graphics Card
320GB Western Digital SATA Hard Drive
120GB Seagate SATA Hard Drive
40GB Samsung IDE Hard Drive
Sony Combo Optical Drive
PCI TV Tuner Card
500 Watts Power Supply Unit
kay-g

Re: USB External Hard Disk Problem

New postby Ramirez » 25 Aug 2009 10:40

You need to format the disk first. I've encountered a problem on externals with two partitions, one is formatted and the other isn't, so, I can only access one drive contents in XP. Whilst there is not problem with Vista.
Recommendation: format it in NTFS.
Ramirez
Master Chip'rs

New postby Hell's Angel » 25 Aug 2009 10:59

possibly the connection between the HDD and the casing board not correctly.. did u buy it that way or u make it yourself? if u know u can try open the casing, reconnect the HDD to the board firmly and try again.. some cheap casing very easy drop the HDD out..(Mine is a sample.. i buy it for only RM10.. :-P )

and also.. does it offer a extra power supply slot? sometime insufficient power supply can cause this to happen too.. (which is the same with mine again.. very stupid.. where i can connect can detect but cannot use it to play movie or other stuff, once the HDD run, it disconnect due to power failure.. hahaha.. shouldn't buy cheap accessory i guess.. :-P)

try using another casing and see it helps, use a another PC too to diagnose whether it's ur pc problem or not.. ^^ good luck then..
Quote of Hell's Angel :

...Live 4 nothing, die 4 everything...

Hell's Angel
Master Chip'rs

New postby Ramirez » 01 Sep 2009 22:27

I think his external HDD is BRANDED. So, it sure comes with a warranted casing for at least 2 years.
You can try plug it into the USB ports at the back of your PC, (I wonder if it helps), could be a lose connection.
Anyways, you should format it.
Ramirez
Master Chip'rs

New postby Hell's Angel » 02 Sep 2009 11:55

Ramirez wrote:I think his external HDD is BRANDED. So, it sure comes with a warranted casing for at least 2 years.
You can try plug it into the USB ports at the back of your PC, (I wonder if it helps), could be a lose connection.
Anyways, you should format it.

yup.. it should helps (i forgot to mention about that :grin: , at least that's also happens to my HDD when i connect to my frens PC..)..
somehow the back side USB slot function better than the front.. i guess maybe is because the back side USB is connected direct to the motherboard, while the front is cable-extended.. :lol:
Quote of Hell's Angel :

...Live 4 nothing, die 4 everything...

Hell's Angel
Master Chip'rs

New postby clarannnnn » 01 Nov 2010 14:50

try to format it.this may be a good idea.
One swallow does not make a summer.
clarannnnn

New postby ChrisGyle » 05 Jan 2011 01:19

I also facing problem while connect to my 1TB external hard. Message display which Oder me to format i cant do that....how i can safe my data? :???:
ChrisGyle

New postby Chris85 » 07 Jan 2011 01:04

When i connect my hard it show message "New Device found but not working " :eek:
Chris85

Return to Others